With all the competition for consumer attention on web, it takes more than just creative content to rivet eyeballs. Visuals are one of the convincing ways to tell a rich story at a glance.
Whether it’s a brand promotion update, a news update or simply any update representing your business, visual content rules the social media landscape.
According to a study by Skyword,
The total views of a piece of written content increase by 94% when visual content like images or videos is embedded.
Images when adequately designed are the key to making your social media posts stand out and get noticed. However ensuring your visuals look perfect is no simple task since social media platforms are regularly changing their guidelines on optimal display sizes -- from cover photos, to timeline images, to profile pictures.
That’s why we've put together this updated guide on social media image sizes 2019, providing all the specific dimensions and a few quick tips to help you optimize your images on various social networks.
Ready? Let's go exploring!
Social Media Image Sizes
Hop on to the following categories to navigate to the specific social media image sizes and dimensions to create the best images for your social networks:
- Facebook Image Sizes
- Twitter Image Sizes
- Instagram Image Sizes
- LinkedIn Image Sizes
- Pinterest Image Sizes
- YouTube Image Sizes
A picture speaks a thousand words, and that stands true in case of Facebook as well. In the very beginning, Facebook was all about text and links. But with time, photos have become an integral part of the site's appeal.
High-quality right sized images on Facebook are capable of compelling people to view and engage with your Facebook posts. So whether you're using Facebook pages for marketing or simply trying to post photos for friends and family, here are dimensions to create the best, high quality engaging visual elements on your Facebook page.
- Facebook cover image size: 820 x 312 px | maximum 100 KB
- Facebook profile image size: minimum 180 x 180 px
- Facebook shared image size: 1200 x 630 px
- Facebook highlighted image size: 1200 x 717 px
- Facebook event image size: 1920 x 1080 px
- Facebook stories dimension: 1080 x 1920 px
- Supported image file types: JPG, GIF or PNG
Ever since it's inception, Twitter has been customer's most preferred platform that they often use to discuss about the brands they like or dislike. One bad image choice in this turbulent world of Twitter, and it will decrease your brand's appeal among your customers -- will make or break your brand in an instant.
So it’s not the place for mistakes when posting. Make sure, any image you put across Twitter is optimized, according to our image guidelines. However, before we jump on to the Twitter image dimensions, let us understand a few common forms in which Twitter images could be shared:
Profile picture - This is going to be the round photo representing you or your brand on Twitter. Your profile photo will not only appear on your timeline, but it will also appear when you send out the tweets, comment on posts or retweet someone else's content.
Cover media - Your cover photo will only appear on your Twitter timeline. The image appears much larger than the profile picture, giving businesses a bit more space to represent their brand.
Tweet media - Your tweets can be built upon with up to four pictures.
If you're unsure which image dimensions and formats to use for the above images, stick to the following recommendations:
- Twitter profile photo size: 400 x 400 px | maximum 2 MB
- Twitter cover photo size: 1500 x 500 px | maximum 5 MB
- Twitter timeline photo size: 1024 x 512 px
- Supported image file types: JPG, WEBP, GIF or PNG
Since visual content is the lifeblood of Instagram, you'll want your presence on this channel to match that foundation, particularly in terms of quality. What's more, with about 1 billion monthly active users, you'll want to put your best self forward.
But how to make your visual content stand out from the rest on Instagram?
The best thing you can do is utilize high-quality, optimized images. Here’s everything you need to know about optimizing your images for Instagram:
- Instagram profile picture dimension: 180 x 180 px
- Instagram image thumbnail dimension: 161 x 161 px
- Instagram shared photo dimension: 1080 x 1080 px
- Instagram shared video dimension: 1080 px wide
- Instagram stories: 1080 x 1920 px | maximum 4 GB
- Supported image file types: PNG or JPG
Note: For profile picture, you will see 110 x 110 px size on the mobile app. However, on a web browser, the Instagram resolution is slightly larger. This is why it is best to have bigger image sizes, around 180 x 180 pixels.
For those looking for more info on Instagram image sizes, check out this guide!
Despite the fact LinkedIn is not a social network focused on sharing photos, it’s still important to use the correct image sizes, so they don’t display pixelated or distorted to your professional contacts.
Learning about the correct image sizes on LinkedIn won't just assist you with protecting your profile’s image and transmit professionalism, it will likewise enable you to improve the engagement.
Let's start with sizes and dimensions for visual elements on your Linkedin page:
- Linkedin banner image size: 1584 x 396 px | maximum 4 MB
- Linkedin profile image size: 400 x 400 px | maximum 10 MB
- Linkedin company cover image size: 1536 x 768 px | maximum 4 MB
- Linkedin company logo image dimension: 300 x 300 px | maximum 4 MB
- Linkedin company page banner image size: 646 x 220 px | maximum 2 MB
- Supported image file types: PNG, JPG or GIF
- Slideshare file size limit: 300 MB
Tip:- You can use templates by Venngage for creating awesome banners and designs for all your Linkedin posts!
Just like images rule the world of other social media platforms, they’re the supreme rulers of the Pinterest landscape as well.
Thus, it has become essential to optimize your Pinterest photos. However, ensuring your Pinterest pictures look flawless isn't as simple as it seems to be. I can understand how frustrating it could be when you design something, and it looks so perfect on your computer, but when you put that image on your Pinterest account, it's just a mess!
Here we've put together the image size and dimensions to help you create pins that are out of this world:
- Pinterest profile image size: 165 x 165 px | maximum 10 MB
- Pinterest board cover image size: 222 x 150 px
- Pinterest pinned image preview dimension: 236 px
- Supported image file type: PNG, JPG or GIF
Videos are trending right now, and since they'll remain as such for years to come, YouTube is an incredible platform that more businesses should be using.
While a lot of businesses have strongly optimized their Facebook, Linkedin and Instagram profiles, a lot of companies fail to optimize their YouTube profiles. Luckily, making your YouTube channel look incredible isn’t too difficult.
If you want to make your YouTube channel look great, there’s one tactic you can use to make that possible: use better images. Here, we’re going to discuss everything you need to know about YouTube ideal image sizes and dimensions:
- YouTube channel header image dimension: 2560 x 1440 px (for desktop), 1855 x 423 px (for tablets), 1546 x 423 px (for smartphones), and 2560 x 1440 px (for TV)
- YouTube channel profile photo dimension: 800 x 800 px
- YouTube video thumbnail dimension: 1280 x 720 px
- Supported image file types: PNG, JPG, GIF or BMP
We've also created a detailed infographic on social media image sizes 2019.
Note: We’ll be updating this list of social media image sizes as we get new data points.